Special Issue: Beyond Colonization to the Fore of Social Development
The Journal of Indigenous Social Development (JISD) is calling for papers for a special issue that examines the extraordinary attributes of Indigenous peoples that engendered vision, determination, and resurgence despite long histories of subjugation. Amid unprecedented social strife and climate change, traditional knowledge and lessons of cultural emancipation must be brought to bear and placed at the fore of social development.
The JISD Board is seeking manuscripts reflecting strengths-based orientations drawn from Indigenous vision, determination, and emancipatory strategies. The application of ancestral knowledge to contemporary contexts is growing among Indigenous communities around the globe. We are intent on learning about innovative designs, perspectives, and traditions that continue to foster the strength, healing, and resurgence of Indigenous peoples and practices.
Paper topics may fall in the realm of:
• Traditional and Customary Practices of Sustainability: Lessons for Contemporary Society
• Indigenous Practices of Food Sovereignty
• Economics and Cohesion in Indigenous Communities
• Subsistence Economies, Environmental Kinship, Sense of Place, and Wellbeing
• Significance of Ancestral Knowledge and Beliefs to Present Day Wellness
• Contemporary Applications of Traditional Healing Practices
• Indigenous Constructs of Wellness and Initiatives in Primary Prevention
• Indigenous Collectivism and Communalism in an era of anti-socialism
• Hybridity and Cultural Innovation in Program Design
• The Politics of Indigenous Spirituality and Strategies for Effecting Change
• Indigenous Epistemology, Science, and Ways of Knowing
• Growing Practice and Research Methodologies from Indigenous Realities
• Indigenous Self-determination in an Era of Climate Change
• Indigenous knowledges informing conservation
• Storytelling, Critical Thinking, and Cultural Resurgence
This issue will be published Winter 2022
All interested authors must consult the guidelines for submission.
For more information please see: