Position within Board of Directors and Terms of Serving:
Affiliation and Position (other than IASSW): Vice President ASSWA
Head of Department of Department of social work at university of Johannesburg
Membership of organizations (other than IASSW): ASSASWEI
Educational Qualification/s: (Degrees):
- D Phil. from the department of Social Work and Social Policy, University of Oxford, UK, Dissertation Title: “Help-seeking by Abused Women in South Africa”.
- Comparative Social Research, in the Social Policy Department. University of Oxford, Dissertation Title: “Race, Gender and Social Security: A Critique of the Impact of Social Security on African Women in South Africa”
Languages written and spoken: English and Afrikaans:
Interest Areas (social work teaching, research and practice): gender based violence, domestic violence, gender attitudes, adolescent exposure to domestic violence, help-seeking, feminism, Gender, transformation, decoloniality,
Current Activities (social work teaching, research, practice, others):
- Current research is focused on the relationship between gender attitudes and exposure gender based violence in South Africa. I am also working with Prof. Sunday on a comparative study between South Africa and Nigeria on gender attitudes and exposure to gender based violence.
- Supervising 15 post-graduate students (masters and doctoral students on various stories related to gender based violence, gender issues in general and domestic violence).
- Teaching social issues first year and masters.
- Teaching Masters theory and research.